Busy, busy, busy
It has been a very busy week here at my desk, and I am finally feeling like I’m settled in and know what my job is. Every day this week I’ve spent doing challenging work, and I find it extremely satisfying. I feel like I have made the transition to IT librarian and IT staff member. It just wasn’t that difficult! People have asked me if I thought I would miss the patrons and miss being a manager, but truthfully I don’t.
I was never unhappy working with patrons or working as a manager. Since I’ve moved though, I have really come to appreciate the changes in my work life:
- I have regular hours which allows me to have more time with my family and my future family
- I am able to work uninterrupted a lot of the time. One of the things about working public service and not having enough hours off-desk is that you can’t get things done. I felt very frustrated that I had all kinds of ideas and work-related stuff I wanted to learn about or pursue, but never could find the time to do it. I am able to do that in this position. I hope the library benefits and the work I put out is valuable.
- I am a happier, more productive worker. Working in public service since 1982, I had become a little surly at times.
- I feel that I work with peers in IT. When you are the manager, you’re kind of apart from everyone else in your branch. It was getting really lonely for me!
- I’m using the professional part of my job, and I’m exercising my brain. My work is challenging. I love the troubleshooting part of my work!
There is a little problem: I like the work so much I don’t want to stop. I have to force myself to go to lunch. And I’m trying to work in my sleep! I dreamed about work all night long last night. But since I finished updating the wifi phone instructions, I think I’ll be able to relax and have fun this weekend.
You have a good weekend, too!